Maltese Cross - Cromarty, Ross & Cromarty

The output of Perkins, Bacon from 1840 to 1880.
Richudson

Maltese Cross - Cromarty, Ross & Cromarty

Post by Richudson »

I have an entire from Cromarty to Dingwall dated 4th Jan 1843 and so assumed the Maltese Cross strike on the piece was from Cromarty, however despite searching through the Encyclopedia of the Maltese Cross (all 3 volumes), I can find no mention of a Cromarty MX.
Cromarty was in the 17th century a major centre for the export of salt fish. In the 18th and early 19th centuries, Cromarty was a major port, rivalling Inverness, importing hemp from the Baltic to be woven in a factory by the shore as well as exporting the produce of the farms on the fertile Black Isle, so wholly justifying a MX of its own. Would someone be kind enough to shine some light on this issue.
Cromarty MX 04-01-1843.jpg
Cromarty Boxed Mark 04-01-1843.jpg
Cromarty Cover 04-01-1843.jpg
cmj

Re: Maltese Cross - Cromarty, Ross & Cromarty

Post by cmj »

As far as I understand it, the Encyclopedia of the Maltese Cross, only lists MXs that are "of interest", i.e. identifiably different to the common cross issued to all Post Towns, Cromarty included, in 1840.

The lack of entry doesn't mean that Cromarty didn't have an MX - just that none had been recorded that are different to the common cross at the time of publication.
Richudson

Re: Maltese Cross - Cromarty, Ross & Cromarty

Post by Richudson »

cmj - Thank you for your explanation, which makes total sense and I will now record this item as having a normal Scottish MX.